Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Going to the Neurologist

Yesterday I got to take my oldest to the pediatric neurologist.  Brittany was diagnosed with Aspergers in May of 2010 at the end of her fourth grade year but unlike Mary, just under her, she has never received services for having a diagnosis.  So this was a big step towards getting her the help she needs. 

One thing I appreciate with Brittany is that I don't have to explain her to anybody.  She is highly verbal and isn't shy.  It makes appointments like this almost gratifying or at very least validating.  When she talks to the doctors and obsesses on how much she likes and knows about cats, for instance, while bouncing around the whole room messing with this or that, it pretty much verifies her diagnosis without me saying a word about it.  It is much more difficult with her less verbal, shy sisters.

Even though the neurologist has no doubt about the diagnosis, she has order a slew of tests to be done from an EKG to an MRI to a sleep study.   Not sure what we'll find out at the end of all of this and I'm wondering if the same protocol is going to be followed for my other two.  They get seen next week.  Oh joy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Megan I literally laughed out loud! Logan is a bit more shy, but once you get him going he will not stop talking about his favorite subject....cats being one of them! All the while messing with something to see how it works!

    When we had the meeting last week with all his teachers, the counselor and learning resources they all said the same thing...we are not worried about him academically he is polite and kind and loves to talk with them (the teachers) about marine biology. There was this "OH Yes" that went through the room literally from every teacher in the room at the same time! Although, it was overwhelming, confirming and somewhat comforting to hear each teacher say..."we are very worried about him socially" Comforting in that they genuinely care. All are on the same path of how can we help. It was nice to say, you have to be careful with your tone, if he thinks you are upset with him or mad you will lose him. That is where I think the labeling comes in at an advantage. It makes them rethink how things are phrased and explains behavior. I hope your teachers are being supportive of you. I am interested to hear about the EKG and MRI, wondering why? How does it help? Does it show how their brain is working differently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the neurologist is just trying to rule out any other problems that could aggravate the situation. Like seizures with the EEG. I know with Mary, when she was first diagnosed, she had an CAT scan and an MRI done that showed an area of hypo-density which may or may not have anything to do with anything (thank you, doctors! I'm glad you went to school for this!)
    The EKG can help because it gives them a reference for when/if they put your child on meds. Some meds can affect the heart and should be monitored. Having a base-line EKG gets them a frame of reference. Other than that, I am not sure what else they'll find. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete