Sunday, December 4, 2011

A possible job for my dog

Yesterday, Mary had another meltdown while the ABA tutor was here along with the tutor's supervisor. I think that this makes every time the supervisor has visited, Mary has had some sort of fit.

At any rate, this time she flew off the handle and started attacking Janet and calling her a Pest over and over again. Repeating, "gotta get the pest, get the pest. She's a pest!"
Eventually I got in her way and confined her into the corner of the dining room where she than began beating me up and spitting in my face.

I haven't been feeling well lately though so my energy for this disappeared quickly and I was forced to call my husband up from doing his job downstairs.

He brought our 2 yr old yellow lab mix dog, Lieutenant or Lt, up with him.  Mary immediately began attacking the dog instead!  My husband was then able to lead her and the dog upstairs with some dog treats and let Mary "order" the dog around until she calmed down.

At the dog's last day of beginning obedience lessons, our trainer told me that there is a good possibility that Lt has the potential of being a good service animal to my three girls if I was willing to put some work into it. 

I had looked into a service dog before and dismissed it as unreachable considering the thousands of dollars they want for a fully trained dog.  I never dreamed it was possible that we could get one this way and for a whole lot less.  At least for Mary, animals, especially dogs, really have a calming affect on her.  It would be fabulous if Lt could become trained enough to become an official service dog.  I figure that at the very least, going through all this training, we'll come out with a very good dog that will have a good affect on the girls regardless of whether he is certified or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment