Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pure torture is spelled "EEG"

Never having had an EEG myself, I had no idea what to expect.  All I knew was that it was going to be 24hrs of monitoring of my daughter's brain and that she wouldn't be able to go to school during that time. I had no idea that there would be very smelly glue to stick the probes on her head that stung her skin for several minutes after application and that they would need to be air blown in order to set with a very noisy air gun and that this process would take almost an hour.   Nor did I know that to remove them would require an even more stinky acetone solvent that gets rubbed into the scalped and stings the eyes and nose with the vapors to the point that Brittany cried.  Unfortunately, the torture didn't end there.  I spent the better part of two hours with vegetable oil and a fine tooth comb trying to get the residual crap that remained stuck to her scalp and hair. 

I have to say that I am glad that Brittany was the one to go first being the least sensitive to the three on the spectrum.  She pushed through it amazingly even though it was really rough on her.  I have no idea how Mary or Katherine with deal with it at all.  I have decided to cancel their appointments because I just don't think they'll be able to handle it.  Unfortunately, there is no other way to test for the possibility of seizures and when they have the sleep studies done, they will have wires glued to their heads anyway.  At least for that test, it will only be for overnight and on a weekend so maybe they'll handle it better.  Well, that's what I'm telling myself anyway.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment