Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mary melts down

Today was Mary's first day with her new ABA tutor in this area. Unfortunately most of the time was spent with Mary in melt down mode. Still not sure what was the underlying cause of the fit. The catalyst, however, was, I think, not wanting to do her homework. Or maybe it was having the tutor there. Or both. At any rate, for the first twenty minutes of the fit she played an impromptu game of hide and seek. She would run to a room and we would follow. When we finally cornered her, she did what all trapped irrational creatures do, she lashed out. Kicking, spitting, stomping on my toes, etc. I'm glad the tutor was there to help me restrain her without hurting her or getting hurt myself. Having a ninety pound kid thrashing around is a scary prospect. I can't imagine what people do with larger kids.
This lasted a good twenty mins. before we were able to get her to take her meds and calm down. I'm exhausted. The crazy thing is that Mary is completely fine afterwards and it was like it never happened. It is like a Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde thing. All I need is the antidote!

No comments:

Post a Comment